The Epsom Derby 2013
Here is my analysis of the past 20 years winners and trends for the Epsom Derby.
There are some clear trends we can draw from these figures:
- Focus on the Top 6 in the Epsom Derby betting. The past 12 winners have been returned at odds of 7/1 or less.
- Less exposed colts do the best in the Epsom Derby – look for colts who have run 5 times or less before running in the race. Only 1 horse in the past 13 years has run more than 5 races prior to winning the Derby.
- The Draw – it is vital to get a good position early in the race and not spend too much energy getting there. A draw in stalls 3 – 10 is ideal. 15 winners from the past 20 years have come from here in the Epsom Derby.
- Group / Listed Form over distance – 12 of the last 14 winners have all Won a listed or group race over at least 1m – 1m 2f prior to winning the derby.
- Trial Performance – look for horses who have performed well inthe 2000 Guineas, The Dante, The Derrinstown Stakes in Ireland or The Dee Stakes in Chester. All offer strong clues.
I have also put up a free video on You Tube running through how to narrow down the field of the Derby. You can watch it here:
I will be putting up my selections and shortlist for the Epsom Derby around lunchtime today – so check back.